Friday, April 19, 2013

Why Colonialism?

     I feel like colonialism is a positive thing in the beginning. Like all good things, they must come to an end. I always had a sense that colonialism was a necessary evil in the world but after being in the debate concerning colonialism in class, I realized that it really was a necessary evil. For example, look at India. If it wasn't for colonialism then the Indian peninsula would still be stuck in the past somewhat. There would be a severe lack of women's rights. For example before the British came, there was a Indian religious tradition that when man died, his wife would be burned alive alongside his corpse at the funeral. They really had no say in what they did. It was a terrible place for women. When the British arrived then they gained what the Europeans would consider a basic level of education. The amount of poverty in the nation led to a great lack of education with the people unless it was the upper class or even the royals. With the education that the British brought into the country, India was able to prosper. The British also brought the industrial revolution to India. Because of the revolution, Indians were able to travel larger distances up and down the peninsula via railroads. Overtime the industrial revolution and education in India helped India become what it is today, an emerging powerhouse. Granted, it still has a lot more work to do but it's going in the right direction.
     If it wasn't for the British then India would not be where it is today. In the process of the British being there, there was a lot of death and conflict. Of course that's natural. You have a playground and some other kids from another playground come in unannounced and just take over? You can't be happy about that, like at all. Conflicting ideologies led to a bunch of uprisings. But through all that death came growth. Colonialism is not something that is perfect. If it was then everyone would be open to it and love it and plus...pigs would fly. I agree that a dead person is a dead person, it's a lost life. But the overall gain from colonialism is greater that that death ( I realize how evil I sound and I'm sorry).

No comments:

Post a Comment